Friday, December 20, 2013

On Love and Long Distance

After hour upon hour spent in front of the computer this semester, writing countless formal lesson plans and reflections, I am ready to get back in the blogging saddle!  As far as written work goes, this past week brought the culmination of my most intense college term to date, and the last on-campus, in-class, homework-filled term of my degree!  I get to spend this spring student teaching in a fourth grade classroom, which hardly qualifies as school, if you ask me.

Along with the tail-end of my studies, the recent months have been the last of far too many spent apart from my sweet husband.  I cannot wait to set up a real home together, and have sleepovers with my best friend for the rest of our lives!  (Because marriage is always going to be that blissful, right?)

As a matter of fact, today marks the very last day of longterm long distance in our relationship, at least according to our ideals.  The significance of today calls me to reflect on love at a distance, seeing as how our entire story thus far has unfolded from afar.  Since first meeting, we have journeyed together through a magnetic friendship, the first "I love you," his deployment, the midst of my college career, engagement, a wedding, and the first six months of marriage while living anywhere between half the world and half the nation apart.

Obviously, I am not a believer in the whole "distance is doom" concept.  Reflecting on our extensive experience with apart-togetherness, I attribute several things - aside from loving each other a whole darn lot - to thriving across the miles:
  • The unfolding of our relationship was never, so to speak, forced: we didn't make it happen but, rather, we let it happen to us.  
  • Relatedly, we never took steps (or didn't), based on the convenience or inconvenience of circumstances, but rather despite them.  
  • Some serious risk taking. 
  • Surprising him with a legit Peyton Manning jersey.
  • Being just as silly as serious.
  • My killer care-package making skills.      
  • Communication, communication, communication.
  • Skype (see above).
  • We didn't allow ourselves to focus on how much it just plain sucks to be apart - because it does sometimes, but it doesn't have to all the time. 
  • Trial and error, and a whole lot of it.
That being said, here's to the simultaneous closing of several major life chapters, and the opening of something new!  









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...