Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Home + Husband

The last couple of weeks have been a total whirlwind, including packing everything up, a lonnnng roadtrip, unpacking, sorting, repacking, visiting family, another (much shorter) roadtrip that coincided with unexpected, spendy car troubles, unpacking again, the start of school, lots of homework, and throughout it all: a whole lot of missing my husband. A whole lot.

Then finally, a (perfect, amazing, wonderful, awesome, incredible, fabulous, perfect, perfect) long weekend with my favorite person: Matthew.  My goodness how I love him.

We made the roadtrip back home, because there is no place like home in summertime: from June through September it is paradise.  One of my favorite things to do when I'm home is go on walks, and our little town is the perfect walking town.  (So often people don't get the point of just "going on a walk," but I promise you, it's lovely - no destination or purpose necessary. There is something relaxing/refreshing/therapeutic about walking just for the sake of it!)

We must have put on 15 miles with all the walks we went on; we walked to the beach, along the river, through neighborhoods and all over town.  All this roaming meant lots of pitstops at favorite restaurants, the number one coffee shop on this earth, if you ask me (and I am a total coffee shop person, I have been to a lot ton of coffee shops.), and some delicious handcrafted ice cream.
We took the canoe out on the lake one day and floated the river to the footbridge near my family's house.
We even went out one night, which is kind of amazing because we tend to be an old married couple and stay at home 99% of the time.  Let's just say we got home quite late, and when we walked in the door, my husband yelled "I'M HOOOME!" to wake his sleeping mother-in-law.  Ballsy.
The husband built a fort and we slept in it.
We played a few board games and a few rounds of a super fun Swedish lawn game called "Kubb."
We had a summery front porch barbecue that included fresh-picked strawberries from my mom's garden.
I repeat: our town is summertime paradise. 

At the risk of getting overly idyllic here, I have to tell you that we also picked apples... from the front yard... to make an apple pie... entirely from scratch.  Matt, being the competitive soul that he is, took on the crust after hearing that it is the toughest part of pie-making.  All in all, his (weirdly) competitive efforts did not disappoint!

          


I love that my husband does things with me that he wouldn't necessarily do on his own, like walks and pies, because he knows how much I love them and how meaningful it is for me when we do them together.  (Thus explains my participation in Fantasy Football this year, a story in and of itself.  I historically do not do team sports, even on such a removed level.  Yeah, woah.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...